Looking for a light and healthy meal to make? This braised greens with beans and onion, sweet sour dressing is a perfect choice. It’s packed with nutritious greens and legumes, and the sweet sour dressing adds a hint of flavor. Plus, it’s easy to make and only takes 15 minutes! Serve it alongside some breadsticks and a side of white sauce for a delicious and balanced meal.
For 4 people
- 1 medium - Vidalia onion
- 3 large - Garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon - Olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Coarse salt
- 3 cups - Escarole
- 4 cups - Spinach leaves
- 1 bunch - Watercress
- 2 cups - Canned red kidney beans
- 4 tablespoons - Lemon tarragon ff dressing
- 2 tablespoons - Grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons - Wheat germ, toasted
- 1 cup - White sauce
- 2 tablespoons - Fontina cheese
- In a large sauté or wok, combine the onion and oil. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often.
- While it is cooking, peel and crush the garlic and add it to the pan.
- When fragrant (3 to 5 minutes), add the escarole, increase heat to high and stir fry to wilt (1 to 2 minutes).
- Add spinach and cress and cook very briefly (1 minute).
- Clear a space in the center of the pan and add the beans. Spread them a bit to warm them. While they are warming add the bottled tarragon flavored honey mustard lemon dressing (or a small amount of sweetened vinegar: vinegar to a measure of sugar, stir with a small rubber spatula and add this to the beans; mix).
- Optional: If needed, cover the pan and cook for a minute or two until beans are heated through and the flavors are blended. Serve hot.
This dish is a perfect way to get your daily supply of greens. Serve it with a side of breadsticks and white sauce for a complete and balanced meal. To make it even healthier, you can use a variety of legumes, such as fava or cannellini beans. You can also make substitutions for the greens, such as using romaine instead of escarole. Enjoy!