Canadian Pea Soup is the ultimate comfort food. It’s hearty, comforting, and full of rich flavors. This version is made with whole dried yellow peas, onion, carrots, turnips, and herbs, and is a vegan-friendly take on the classic dish. With its mild but delicious taste and its simple cooking process, it’s sure to be a hit with everyone!
- 1 teaspoon - Canola oil
- 1 chopped - White onion
- 0.5 cup - Diced carrots
- 0.5 cup - Diced turnips
- Salt (optional)
- 0.25 teaspoon - Pepper (more or less)
- Finely chopped - Parsley and fresh herbs
- 1 pound - Whole dried yellow peas
- 2 quarts - Cold water
- 2 teaspoons - Ham-flavored bouillon
- Lightly caramelize the vegetables as follows. Heat a large sauce pan (3-qt). Add the oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan. Immediately add the onion and sear, tossing or stirring for a minute or so. Add the carrot and turnip dice and sauté for about 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper and cook a another minute or two, until the vegetables are softer and aromatic.
- Add the washed and drained peas to the pan. Pour in half the water and add the ham base. Bring to a boil. After bringing the peas to a steady boil, skim. Turn off the heat, cover, and let sit for 1 hour.
- Transfer to the crockery of a slow cooker. Add the rest of the water. (Add more water as needed.) Cook on low for 8 hours. Add herbs during last hour. Adjust salt, pepper and ham flavor. Serve unstrained. Good with fresh and warm fresh bread for tearing and dipping.
Canadian Pea Soup is the perfect dish to enjoy on a cold winter night. The slow cooking process helps bring out the flavors of the yellow peas and vegetables, and the herbs add an extra layer of flavor. With its mild taste, it’s sure to be a hit with everyone. Enjoy this delicious and healthy soup with a side of warm fresh bread for dipping!