This delectable Chocolate-Cherry Pudding Cake is a low-fat vegetarian recipe that will have your family and friends begging for seconds. The combination of cocoa, cherries and pecans is so irresistibly delicious that they won’t be able to get enough. The pudding-like texture makes it the perfect comfort food after dinner or as an afternoon snack.
For 14 people
- 1 3/4 cups - All-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups - Granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup - Unsweetened cocoa
- 3 Tbsp. - Baking powder
- 3/4 cup - Skim milk
- 1/2 cup - Unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup - Fresh or frozen sweet cherries, thawed and pitted
- 1/4 cup - Chopped pecans
- 1 1/4 packed - Dark brown sugar
- 3 cups - Hot water
- 1/4 cup - Unsweetened cocoa
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, granulated sugar, 1/3 cup cocoa, and baking powder.
- Stir in the milk and applesauce until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Fold in the cherries and pecans, then spoon the batter into a greased and floured 13x9-inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the brown sugar, hot water, and 1/4 cup cocoa, stirring until smooth.
- Pour the brown sugar mixture over the batter in the pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 to 40 minutes, or until set.
- The cake will have a pudding-like texture.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
This delicious Chocolate-Cherry Pudding Cake is an easy-to-make dessert that is sure to become a family favorite. With its rich flavors and nutritiously sound ingredients, this cake is sure to be a hit at your next gathering. Enjoy it warm or at room temperature with a cold glass of milk — and don’t forget to save some for leftovers!