Coffee Can Batter Bread is a delicious and easy to make bread recipe that can be made with only a few simple ingredients. Perfect to make for any breakfast or dinner, it’s sure to be a hit with the whole family! This recipe uses active dry yeast, warm water, ginger, sugar, milk, salt, oil, and flour to create a flavorful and moist bread that’s sure to impress. With its light and fluffy texture, topped with a golden brown crust, this coffee can batter bread is just the perfect accompaniment for your meal!
For 24 people
- Package - Active dry yeast
- Cup - Warm water
- Teaspoon - Ginger
- Tablespoons - Sugar
- Cups - Milk or evaporated milk
- Teaspoon - Salt
- Tablespoons - Salad oil
- Cups - Flour
- Butter or margarine
- In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over warm water; blend in ginger and 1 tablespoon of the sugar. Let stand until bubbly, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, milk, salt and oil. Beat in 3 cups of the flour, 1 cup at a time, with a regular mixer or by hand.
- When dough is too stiff to beat with a mixer, beat in about 1 1/2 cups more of flour with a heavy spoon, one-half cup at a time, until dough pulls away from sides of the bowl but is too soft to knead.
- Divide batter in half; place 1 portion in each of 2 well-greased 1-pound coffee cans or spoon all the batter into 1 well-greased 2-pound coffee can. Cover with a well-greased plastic lid or lids.
- At this point you may cover and freeze for up to 2 weeks.
- Let covered cans of batter stand in a warm place until batter rises and pushes off plastic lids, 45 to 55 minutes for 1-pound cans, and 55 to 60 minutes for 2-pound can. If frozen, let batter stand in cans at room temperature until lids are pushed off, 4 to 5 hours for 1-pound cans and 6 to 8 hours for 2-pound can.
- Set cans on lowest rack of a 350-degree oven. Bake uncovered until crust is very brown, about 45 minutes for a 1-pound can, about 60 minutes for a 2-pound can. Brush tops lightly with melted butter or margarine. Let cool in cans on a rack for about 5 minutes, then loosen loaves around edges of cans with a thin knife, slide bread from cans and let cool in an upright position on a rack. Serve warm or cool.
- Note: If you do not intend to use the cans again, you may remove the closed end of the can and push the bread out if there is any difficulty in removing the bread.
This tasty Coffee Can Batter Bread is great for a quick meal or snack any time of day. Serve it with butter and jelly, or use it for sandwiches. It’s delicious and comes together in no time so give it a try and you won’t be disappointed! Nutritious, flavorful and economical, it’s a real winner.