This Curried Celery Soup is an incredibly tasty way to get all the health benefits of celery while enjoying a flavorful and nutritious soup. A perfect vegetarian dish, this soup is low in fat and packed with fiber to help reduce cholesterol and improve digestion. The added diced green chili gives it an extra kick that will make this soup a hit with participants of all ages. Serve it up warm with a sprinkling of celery seeds and some celery leaves.
For 6 people
- 2 teaspoons - Olive oil
- 1 - Onion - chopped
- 1 - Leek - washed and sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds - Celery - chopped, leaves reserved
- 1 tablespoon - Curry powder - such as Madras or a milder yellow curry
- 8 ounces - Potatoes - chopped with peel left on
- 4 cups - Vegetable stock
- 1 - Bouquet garni
- 2 tablespoons - Chopped fresh mixed herbs
- Celery seeds and leaves - for garnish
- 4 ounce - Can of diced green chili
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion, leek, and celery, cover and cook gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the curry powder and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the potatoes, broth and bouquet garni, cover and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove and discard the bouquet garni.
- Let the soup cool slightly before pureeing in a food processor or blender. If you have an immersion blender, the soup does not need to cool. Puree until smooth.
- Add the mixed herbs, season to taste and process briefly. Return to the saucepan and reheat gently until piping hot. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish each with a sprinkling of celery seeds and some celery leaves.
Your Curried Celery Soup is now ready to be served! You can customize this recipe by replacing the celery and potatoes with celeriac and sweet potatoes. This recipe is perfect for dinner parties or weeknight meals because it’s simple to make and the result is sure to please everyone. Enjoy!