This delicious applesauce biscuit recipe is a quick and easy way to add something special to any meal. Using a few pantry staple ingredients you can whip up a batch of these tasty biscuits in no time. With the perfect blend of spices and sweetness, these biscuits are sure to be a hit at your next gathering.
- 2 cups - All-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons - Baking powder
- 2 teaspoons - Granulated sugar
- 0.5 teaspoon - Ground allspice
- 0.25 teaspoon - Baking soda
- 0.25 teaspoon - Salt
- 0.25 teaspoon - Ground cinnamon
- 0.5 cup - Shortening
- 0.33 cup - Buttermilk
- 0.25 cup - Applesauce
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, allspice, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture. In a small mixing bowl, combine buttermilk and applesauce; add to dry mixture all at once. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Quickly knead dough by gently folding and pressing 10 to 12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. Pat or lightly roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut dough with a 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter.
- Place biscuits 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake in a 450F oven 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Remove biscuits from the baking sheet and serve warm.
These delicious applesauce biscuits are a great addition to any meal. Whether you’re putting together a quick breakfast or a special dinner, these biscuits are sure to please. You can also make them ahead of time and freeze them, so they are ready to be served whenever you need a quick and delicious side. Give this recipe a try and you won’t be disappointed!