This delightful bread is perfect for any celebration or special occasion. With a combination of ingredients that are both healthy and flavorful, you won’t be able to get enough of this Boston Brown bread. The cornmeal, whole wheat or graham flour and rye flour gives this bread it’s unique flavor and texture, and the raisins and nuts give it a festive taste that’s hard to beat. Get ready to indulge in a delicious, homemade bread that is sure to be a hit!
For 1 people
- 1 cup - Cornmeal
- 1 cup - Whole wheat flour (or graham flour)
- 1 cup - Rye flour
- 1 teaspoon - Salt
- 1 teaspoon - Baking soda
- 1 tablespoon - Water
- 1/2 cup - Molasses
- 2 tablespoons - Vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 7/8 cup - Milk
- 1 cup - Raisins
- 2 tablespoons - All-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, whole wheat or graham flour, and rye flour with the salt.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the baking soda and water. Add the molasses and mix until well blended.
- In a two-cup measure, mix the vinegar with the milk to make 2 cups. Combine with the molasses mixture.
- Stir the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients until completely combined.
- In a small bowl, combine the raisins and flour. Add to the batter and mix until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into two well-greased 1 quart molds or clean coffee cans. Cover tightly with a double thickness of aluminum foil.
- Place the molds on a rack in a kettle. Add boiling water to come halfway up around the sides of the molds. Cover the kettle and steam for 3 hours, adding more boiling water as necessary to keep the proper level.
- Unmold the loaves and bake in an oven at 325 degrees for 10 minutes to dry them. Cool the loaves before serving.
- To serve: Purists say to slice the bread with a string, never with a knife.
This Boston Brown Bread is a delicious and flavorful choice for any party or gathering. With a combination of whole grains, raisins, and molasses, it has a hearty, festive flavor that can’t be beat. Make a batch and enjoy the taste of this unique homemade bread!