Gardeners Pie is a classic vegetarian comfort dish made with a mix of roasted root vegetables, potatoes and Worcestershire sauce. This delicious, hearty dish is the perfect way to use your favorite seasonal vegetables and impress your family and friends. This delicious pie is a meal all on it’s own, making it a great choice for a simple family dinner or a special occasion. While this recipe does take some time to make, it is worth the effort for a dish that is sure to please!
For 1 people
- 1 Large - Onion
- 2 Large - Carrots
- 1 Tbsp - Oil
- 2 - Celery Ribs
- 12 Cloves - Garlic
- 8 Ozs - Mushrooms
- 2 Tbsps - Worcestershire Sauce
- 0.5 tsp - Thyme
- 6 med - Russet Potatoes
- Salt & Pepper
- Melted Butter or Margarine
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a shallow 2-quart casserole dish, toss together onion, carrots, turnips, and oil. Roast uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add celery and garlic and roast 15 minutes more. Add mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, and thyme, stirring to coat all vegetables. Roast for an additional 15 minutes.
- While vegetables roast, boil potatoes until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain potatoes, reserving 1/2 cup of the potato water. Mash or whip, using potato water as necessary to achieve a creamy consistency. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove casserole from oven and change oven setting to broil. Spread potatoes over roasted vegetables. Drizzle with melted butter [or margarine] if desired. Place under broiler to lightly brown top, 1 to 2 minutes.
Gardeners pie is a delicious, satisfying vegetarian dish that’s sure to please. It takes a bit of time to prepare, but the roast vegetables and creamy mashed potatoes will make it worth the effort. Serve with a fresh salad and a glass of wine for a perfect meal!