These Squash Pan Rolls are a delicious, savory dinner roll. They make a great companion for soups, stews, and roasts. The winter squash puree adds a subtle sweetness, while the all-purpose flour, yeast, butter, and milk create the perfect texture. Plus, you can make them ahead and freeze them for future meals. Just thaw and warm, and you’re ready to enjoy!
For 24 people
- 1 cup - Milk
- 5 tablespoons - Unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons - Sugar
- 0.5 cup - Frozen winter squash puree
- 3.5 cups - All purpose flour
- 1 envelope - Quick-rising dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons - Salt
- Combine milk, 3 tablespoons butter and sugar in heavy medium saucepan. Stir over low heat until butter melts and mixture is heated through. Whisk in squash. Remove from heat and cool until thermometer inserted into mixture registers 125F to 130F, about 5 minutes.
- In a food processor, mix flour, yeast, and salt. With machine running, add squash mixture through the feed tube and process until a ball forms. Continue to process for 45 seconds longer to knead the dough.
- Butter a large bowl. Add the dough to the bowl and turn to coat. Cover the bowl with a towel and let the dough rise in a warm, draft-free area until doubled in size, about 50 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease two 9-inch-diameter cake pans. Punch down the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured work surface. Divide the dough into 24 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Arrange 12 balls in each prepared cake pan, spacing them evenly apart.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Brush rolls with 1/3 of the melted butter. Cover pans loosely with foil and let rolls rise in a warm, draft-free area until doubled in size, about 20 minutes.
- Brush rolls again with 1/3 of the melted butter and bake uncovered until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Transfer pans to a wire cooling rack. Brush rolls with the remaining melted butter. Rolls can be prepared two weeks ahead, cooled completely in pans, covered with foil, and frozen. Thaw rolls and reheat covered in pans in a 350F oven for about 10 minutes.
- Serve rolls warm.
These Squash Pan Rolls are a delicious and flavorful bread to serve with your meals. The squash adds a hint of sweetness while the all-purpose flour, yeast, butter, and milk create the perfect texture. Plus, you can make them ahead of time and freeze them for future meals. Just thaw and warm, and you’re ready to enjoy them with your next meal!