Here’s a recipe that appears in just about every Sons of Italy community cookbook you run across. Zeppole, basically fried dough, can be made sweet, savory or both; served hot, warm, or at room temperature, at any time of the day. This particular recipe is for a delicious, soft and light zucchini cookie with a refreshing lemony taste. Perfect for any kind of occasion, these cookies are sure to be a crowd pleaser!
For 1 people
- 1 cup - Granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup - Vegetable shortening
- 2 - Eggs
- 1 teaspoon - Vanilla
- 1 teaspoon - Lemon extract or lemon oil
- 1 cup - Shredded zucchini
- 2 1/2 cups - King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 4 teaspoons - Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon - Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon - Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon - Nutmeg
- 1 cup - Raisins
- 1/2 cup - Chopped nuts
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream together the sugar and shortening then beat in the eggs. Mix in the vanilla, lemon and zucchini.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, ginger and nutmeg. Combine the dry ingredients thoroughly with the wet ingredients then stir in the raisins and nuts (walnuts, pecans or almonds are all good choices).
- Drop the dough by teaspoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet, and bake the cookies for 15 minutes in a preheated 375F oven. Remove the cookies from the oven, and cool them on a wire rack.
- Enjoy your fresh, homemade zucchini cookies!
I was fully prepared to dislike these cookies, but I was pleasantly surprised. Soft, light and with a refreshing lemony taste, these cookies are the perfect snack for any occasion! You can serve them hot, warm or at room temperature and they’re sure to please everyone.