This Dill Yeast Bread is a delicious and healthy treat for the whole family. It is made with cottage cheese, fresh dill, and a host of other ingredients, making it a great addition to any meal. Not only is this bread tasty, it is also low-fat and high in fiber. The flavors of the dill and onion flakes give this bread a unique and pleasant taste.
For 10 people
- 1 cup - Cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons - Sugar
- 1 tablespoon - Onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon - Fresh dill weed or dill seed
- 1 teaspoon - Salt
- 0.25 teaspoon - Baking soda
- 2 - Egg beaters 99% egg substitute
- 1 package - Yeast (not instant)
- 2.5 cups - Bread flour
- 0.5 teaspoon - Diet margarine (Fleischman's)
- Bring the eggs to room temperature. Heat the cottage cheese until barely warm to the touch, about 110 degrees. Mix the cottage cheese in a large bowl along with sugar, onion, dill, salt, baking soda, eggs and yeast.
- Add the flour, one-half cup at a time, to make a stiff batter. Beat well after each addition with an electric mixer flat beater, or use a wooden spoon if mixing by hand. Since this is a heavy batter, and not a dough, it will not be kneaded.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm place for one hour or more. Once the dough has doubled in size, remove the plastic wrap and stir down the batter with 20 to 25 strong strokes.
- Spoon the batter into a greased 1-1/2 quart casserole dish. Cover with wax paper, and leave until the batter doubles in size, about 45 minutes. Make sure the wax paper does not touch the batter, or it may collapse when the paper is pulled away.
- Bake the bread in a preheated 350-degree oven for 40-45 minutes or until deep brown and crusty. Test with a wooden toothpick and if it does not come out clean, bake for an additional 5-8 minutes.
- Remove bread from oven and immediately brush with the margarine. Sprinkle with salt if desired.
This Dill Yeast Bread is a delightful and flavorful treat that pairs perfectly with any meal. Its low-fat and high-fiber content make this bread a great option for those looking for healthier baking options. Whether you serve it with a warm bowl of soup or a hearty stew, this bread will be sure to delight the whole family.