This Harvest Succotash is a delicious plant-based stew that’s filled with nutritious vegetables and lean lamb shoulder. The flavors of jalapeno, red bell pepper and fresh mint blend together to make this dish a perfect blend of savory and sweet. We love to serve it with a sprinkle of sunflower seeds and chopped cilantro for a bit of crunch and extra flavor. Enjoy this easy and healthy meal for dinner tonight!
For 6 people
- 3 - Acorn squash
- 2 tablespoons - Sunflower seeds
- 2 teaspoons - Light olive oil with dash of toasted sesame oil
- 12 ounces - Lean lamb shoulder
- 1 - Yellow onion
- 1 - Jalapeno
- 3 - Red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon - Mild chili powder
- 1 teaspoon - Ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon - Ground sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon - Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups - Nonfat low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 sprigs - Fresh mint
- 3 cups - Fresh corn kernels or frozen
- 3 cups - Green beans, fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons - Arrowroot
- 1/4 cup - Water
- 3 tablespoons - Chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Place the squash halves face down on a large baking pan and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour. Scatter the sunflower seeds on a small baking pan and toast in the oven with the squash for 15 minutes. Set the seeds aside to use for garnish.
- Heat 1 tsp of the oil in a large skillet over high heat. When it is very hot, drop the lamb pieces into the pan to brown well, about 5 minutes. Transfer the meat to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining tsp of oil and fry the onion over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the peppers and seasonings, and fry for 3 minutes. Pour in the stock and stir, scraping all the bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the meat and fresh mint, and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the slurry, return to heat until thickened.
- To serve: Place a squash half on each warm plate and spoon the stew over the top. Sprinkle with the cilantro and sunflower seeds for extra color and texture.
This delicious Harvest Succotash is an easy, healthy meal that’s filled with flavorful vegetables and lean lamb shoulder. The addition of sunflower seeds and cilantro provide extra crunch and flavor. Enjoy this plant-based stew for a delicious and healthy meal tonight! Serve with a sprinkle of fresh herbs and enjoy!