Enjoy the delicious combination of sweet and sour with this easy-to-make-at-home Joni’s Cinnamon Swirl Bread! This recipe is perfect for a beginner baker and is made with a sourdough starter for a flavor that can’t be beat. You and your family will love this delectable baked treat!
- 3 cups - All-Purpose Flour
- 3 tbsp - Dough Relaxer
- 1 tbsp - Instant Yeast
- 3 tbsp - Butter
- 3 tbsp - Non-Instant Dry Milk
- 3 tbsp - Sugar
- 0.5 cups - Water
- 0.5 cups - White Sourdough Starter
- 1.25 tsp - Salt
- 0.75 cups - Baker's Cinnamon Filling
- 0.5 tsp - Freshly Ground Mace
- 0.5 tsp - Freshly Ground Cardamom
- 0.5 tsp - Orange Oil
- 3 tbsp - Water
- 1 sm - Egg or Egg White
- Using a paddle attachment, mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl, except for the salt and water. With the mixer running on #1, slowly pour in enough water to make a slack dough. Stop the machine, cover, and allow the dough to rest for 20 minutes.
- Switch to the dough hook, add the salt, and knead the dough until a soft dough forms. Knead for 3 minutes, shut off the machine for 2 minutes, knead again for 2-3 minutes, rest the dough another minute or two, then knead by hand for a few minutes. Add more water or flour as needed during the kneading process.
- Cover and let the dough rise for 1 1/2 hours. Punch down and roll out into an 8" x 24" rectangle. Mix the filling and spread it on the dough, leaving a 1" border on all sides. Roll up the dough starting with the short edge and pinch the ends closed.
- Fit the dough, seam-side down, into a greased 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" bread pan. Cover and let the dough rise for about 2 hours, or until a scant 1" above the rim. Paint on the egg glaze before placing the loaf in the oven.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 40-45 minutes, tenting lightly after 20 minutes. Remove from the pan, spread with butter if desired, and cool on a wire rack.
Your finished Joni’s Cinnamon Swirl Bread is ready to enjoy! The combination of sweet and sour from the dough and filling make this bread a delicious treat. This recipe is perfect for beginner bakers and is sure to be a hit with your family. Enjoy!