Thanksgiving dinner is all about the comfort food. This Mediterranean Style Baked Chicken is the perfect addition to a hearty New England Thanksgiving dinner. The combination of chicken and prunes, olives, wine, vinegar, herbs, and spices will have your family’s mouths watering. You can enjoy a delicious meal that is low in fat and packed with flavor.
- 4 - Chicken legs and thighs - separated
- 0.5 cup - Dried prunes - halved
- 0.25 cup - Green olives - pitted
- 0.25 cup - Dry white wine
- 0.25 cup - Red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon - Extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoon - Oregano - chopped
- 2 tablespoon - Capers - with juice
- 1 tablespoon - Garlic - chopped
- 0.5 teaspoon - Red chili pepper flakes
- 0.5 teaspoon - Salt
- 2 - Bay leaf
- 0.5 cup - Dark brown sugar - packed
- 1 tablespoon - Basil - chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Combine chicken, prunes, olives, wine, vinegar, oil, oregano, capers, garlic, chili pepper flakes, salt, and bay leaves. Cover and marinate in refrigerator at least 15 minutes and up to 24 hours. If marinating overnight, combine ingredients in a zip-top bag, seal and refrigerate.
- Arrange chicken in a single layer in a casserole dish. Pour marinade over chicken. Sprinkle the sugar evenly over the chicken. Transfer the pan to the oven to bake.
- Bake until chicken is cooked white throughout and top is golden-brown, 40-50 minutes. Remove chicken pieces to a plate and top with the remaining pan juices.
- Remove bay leaves before sprinkling basil over the chicken. Serve right away.
This Mediterranean Style Baked Chicken is a winner for your New England Thanksgiving dinner. The low fat combination of chicken, prunes, olives, wine, vinegar and spices will be sure to delight all of your guests. Serve it up with your favorite sides and enjoy the cozy atmosphere of a traditional feast with your family.