This Pearl Barley, Corn, Red Pepper and Green Onion Pilaf is a quick and easy side dish for any meal! It’s incredibly flavorful and healthy, with a mix of pearl barley, corn, red pepper, green onion, fresh basil, and a few other simple ingredients. Enjoy this hearty, vegetarian dish as a side or as a main course. The perfect way to use up your favorite pantry staples!
For 6 people
- 1 tablespoon - Olive oil
- 1 large - Red bell pepper
- 2 bunches - Green onions
- 1.5 cups - Pearl barley
- 14.5 ounces - Low sodium chicken broth
- 14.5 ounces - Water
- 2 cups - Frozen corn
- 0.5 cup - Fresh basil
- Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chopped bell pepper and half of green onions and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add barley and stir to coat with olive oil. Add broth and water and bring to boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until barley is tender, stirring occasionally, about 40 minutes.
- Add corn and stir until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in sliced basil and remaining green onions.
This Pearl Barley, Corn, Red Pepper and Green Onion Pilaf is a tasty, simple, and healthy side dish that is sure to be a crowd pleaser. Serve this warm with your favorite meat or vegetarian dish, and you’ll have a flavorful and nutritious meal. Enjoy!