This Beet Salad with Apples and Raisins is a tasty and easy side dish that can be served hot or cold. It’s a great addition for busy schedules, with quick preparation and a satisfying flavor. The sweetness of the raisins and crunch of the apples contrast perfectly with the unique flavor of raw beets, making this salad truly memorable!
- ¼ cup - Nonfat sour cream -- or lowfat
- 1 teaspoon - Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon - Cider vinegar
- ¾ pound - Beets -- trim and peel
- 1 piece - Sweet and crisp apple such as a Fuji
- 2 tablespoons - Sultana raisins
- 1 tablespoon - Toasted hazelnuts -- chopped
- 1 tablespoon - Chopped chives
- 1 handful - Watercress
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- In a small bowl, mix the sour cream, mustard and vinegar together and set aside.
- Grate the beets by hand with the second-largest hole on a 4-sided grater, or with the grating attachment on a food processor. Place the grated beets in a large mixing bowl.
- Core the apple, but do not peel it. Cut it into ½-inch cubes and add it to the beets. Next, add the raisins, hazelnuts and chives. Season the salad with salt and pepper. Then, pour the sour cream dressing over the entire mix and mix everything together. Taste the salad to make sure that it is seasoned to your liking.
- To serve, put a handful of watercress at the end of a small oval platter and spoon the salad on top of it. This salad should serve 4 people.
This Beet Salad with Apples and Raisins is a great side dish for busy schedules. Not only is it quick and easy to make, it also has a unique and satisfying flavor. The sweetness of the raisins and crunch of the apples contrast perfectly with the unique flavor of raw beets, making this salad truly memorable! Don’t forget to remove the hazelnut skins for a better flavor.