Red Beans, Fat Tuesday’s Skinny is a flavorful vegan and vegetarian Cajun-Creole dish that can be prepared in under an hour. This easy recipe makes use of canned tomatoes, kidney beans, and a selection of herbs and spices to create a dish that is both creamy and intensely flavorful. It’s best to serve the dish immediately after it is removed from the heat, though it can also be frozen and then softened in the refrigerator before serving.
- 2 cups (chopped) - Onion
- 1 tablespoon - Minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons - Olive oil
- 1 cup - Chopped carrots
- 1 cup - Chopped celery
- 1 cup (chopped, assorted) - Bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon - Dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon - Dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon - Dried basil
- 1 teaspoon - Dried marjoram
- 1 pinch (or to taste) - Cayenne
- 3 cups ((28 oz can- cut up)) - Canned tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups ((15oz can - drained)) - Canned kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon - Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon - Brown sugar
- 1 cup (sliced (optional)) - Okra, frozen
- (to taste) - Salt and pepper
- (or minced scallions, chopped) - Fresh parsley
- Combine the onions, garlic, and olive oil in a soup pot. Cover and sauté on medium heat for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened.
- Add the carrots, celery, bell peppers, oregano, thyme, basil, marjoram, and cayenne. Cover and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, stirring to prevent sticking.
- When the vegetables are just tender, stir in the tomatoes, kidney beans, mustard, brown sugar and okra, if desired. Simmer gently for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve topped with parsley or scallions.
Red Beans, Fat Tuesday’s Skinny is an easy and delicious vegan and vegetarian dish that is sure to be enjoyed by all. With its intense flavor, it is great served as is or as a side to a larger meal. The recipe is also great to freeze, as it will retain much of its flavor even after being frozen and thawed. This dish is sure to become a staple in your house for years to come!