This delicious twist on traditional Eastern European babka is made with avocados for a unique flavor. It’s surprisingly easy to make, but will impress your guests with its deliciousness, and is perfect for holidays, weddings, or just as a tasty treat. To make this recipe, you will need to pre-treat the avocados by soaking in ascorbic acid for 5 minutes. Then, dry for up to 60 hours (two-and one-half days) at 100F. This ensures the avocado slices are 1/4-inch thick. Then, make the babka batter with the egg yolks, caster sugar, yeast, milk, vanilla, strong white flour (bread flour), saffron, salt, and melted butter. Fill a greased baking tin (traditionally a Turk’s Head mold) with the batter, rise, and bake in a medium oven for around 1 hour. Enjoy your delicious homemade avocado babka!
For 1 people
- 8 - Egg yolks
- 4 oz - Caster sugar
- 1 tsp - Dried yeast
- 0.25 pint - Milk
- Vanilla -- to taste
- 1 pound - Strong white flour -- (bread flour)
- Saffron -- to taste
- 0.5 tsp - Salt
- 4 oz - Melted butter
- Beat the eggs and sugar over hot water until white and thick.
- Dissolve the yeast in some warm milk.
- Add the two mixtures with all the ingredients except the butter and beat.
- Pour in the butter and beat again.
- Fill a greased baking tin (traditionally a Turk's Head mold) to one-third with the batter.
- Cover and leave to rise.
- Bake in a medium oven (between 325F to 350F) for about 1 hour.
Once your babka is done, it is ready to enjoy! For added flavor, you can garnish it with a dusting of confectioners sugar. This recipe is perfect for holidays, weddings, and other special occasions, or just to make an everyday treat. With its unique avocado flavor, it’s sure to impress your guests and become a go-to favorite!