This warm shortcake with winter fruit compote is a delectable dessert for the winter season. It is not too sweet, with just the right amount of sweetness from the compote. The combination of fresh cranberries and fresh winter fruits, along with the port wine, make for a unique and delightful dish. You will be sure to impress your friends and family with this delicious creation!
For 8 people
- 1 2/3 cups cups - Unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon teaspoon - Baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon teaspoon - Sea salt
- 2/3 cup cup - Maple syrup
- 3/4 cup cup - Water
- 1/3 cup cup - Corn kernels -- fresh or frozen
- 1/2 teaspoon teaspoon - Vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon teaspoon - Lemon juice
- 3/4 cup cup - Port wine
- 3 cups cups - Fresh cranberries -- (12 oz)
- 2 - Fuyu persimmons -- finely diced -- or apples
- 2 - Pears -- peeled and finely diced
- 1/2 cup cup - Sucanat -- or brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cup - Apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon teaspoon - Ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons teaspoons - Ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon teaspoon - Ground nutmeg
- 1/2 - Vanilla beans -- split, use pulp -- or 2 tsp vanilla extract -- one inch piece fresh ginger
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly oil an 8-inch square or round cake pan. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, then stir in the salt.
- In a blender, combine the maple syrup, water, corn, vanilla, and lemon juice. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean. Let cool then cut into 8 pieces.
- In a large saucepan, combine the port and cranberries and simmer for 7 minutes, or until the cranberries are all popped open. In a blender, puree half of this mixture.
- Add the persimmons, pears, Sucanat, apple juice, and all the seasonings to the cranberries in the pan. Mix well and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the fruit is al dente. Add the pureed cranberries and keep warm.
- Just before serving, warm the cake and spoon an eighth of the compote on top of each shortcake.
This warm shortcake with winter fruit compote is a flavorful and comforting dessert. The tart cranberry and sweet fruit compote pairs perfectly with the crispy, golden shortcake. It is sure to be a hit at any gathering! For a touch of decadence, you can serve it a la mode with a scoop of ice cream or a dollop of freshly-whipped cream. Enjoy!