If you’re looking for a healthy and delicious breakfast dish, this zucchini frittata is the perfect choice. It’s a low-fat, vegetarian dish that’s packed with flavor, and ready in no time. The zucchini is cut into thin coins and then cooked with onions, bell peppers, garlic, Italian seasoning, and black pepper. The egg substitute is poured over the vegetables, and then the frittata is finished off with a sprinkle of nonfat or reduced-fat mozzarella cheese and nonfat Parmesan cheese. The sweet crunch of the candied walnuts adds a great texture and flavor contrast. This dish is sure to be a hit with the whole family!
For 4 people
- 1 1/2 medium - Zucchini
- 1 medium - Yellow onion
- 1/2 medium - Green bell pepper
- 1/2 medium - Red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon - Crushed fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon - Dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon - Ground black pepper
- 2 cups - Egg Beaters(r) 99% egg substitute
- 3/4 cup - Shredded nonfat or reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon - Nonfat parmesan cheese
- Coat a 10-inch ovenproof skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Place over medium-high heat, and add the zucchini, onions, bell peppers, garlic, Italian seasoning, and black pepper. Cook and stir for 3 minutes, or until the vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Reduce the heat to low, and pour the egg substitute over the vegetables. Let the eggs cook without stirring for 10 to 12 minutes, or until almost set.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, and place under a preheated broiler. Broil 6 inches from the heat for about 3 minutes, or until the eggs are set.
- Sprinkle the cheeses over the frittata, and broil for an additional minute, or just until the cheese has melted. Cut the frittata in wedges, and serve immediately.
This zucchini frittata is an easy and delicious way to start your day. It’s a low-fat, vegetarian dish that’s packed with flavor, plus the sweet crunch of the candied walnuts adds an amazing texture and flavor contrast. Enjoy it on its own, or serve it with a side of fresh fruit or toast for a complete breakfast. Plus, with only 119 calories per serving, you don’t have to worry about ruining your diet either! Get creative and try adding different vegetables or spices to the recipe to make it your own. Bon Appetit!