This creamy turnip and potato soup with lemon verbena is a delicious and comforting meal that’s both flavorful and simple to make. Perfect for dinner or as a side dish, this soup is easy to prepare and can be served either hot or cold. The combination of turnip, potato, chives, and lemon verbena makes this soup unique and delicious, and you can choose whether or not to include butter or margarine, cream, or sour cream for a lightened-up version.
For 6 people
- 2 tablespoons - Diet margarine or unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups - Diced turnips, peeled
- 1 cup - Diced potatoes, peeled
- 2 tablespoons - Finely chopped fresh chives or green onion tops
- 2 1/2 cups - Fat-free low-salt chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups - Skim milk
- 2 tablespoons - Nonfat sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon - Hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon - Finely minced fresh lemon verbena
- Melt the butter in a 5-quart nonstick Dutch oven over low heat. Add the diced turnips and sauté for 5 minutes, taking care not to burn them. Add the potatoes and stir to coat with the butter. Add the chives and cook for another minute, stirring the vegetables to prevent them from burning.
- Pour the chicken broth over the vegetables and cover the pot. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and let simmer, covered, for 25 minutes or until the vegetables are soft enough to be pureed.
- Working in batches as needed, carefully puree the vegetable mixture with the milk in a blender or food processor.
- To serve cold, transfer the puree to a large bowl, stir in the remaining ingredients and chill the soup for several hours. Stir and serve.
- To serve hot, gently reheat the puree, stirring in the cream. Remove from the heat, stir in the lemon and let stand for a few minutes before serving.
This creamy turnip and potato soup with lemon verbena is a unique and tasty dish that’s perfect for a light dinner or as a side dish. It’s simple to prepare and can be served either warm or cold. Though the original recipe calls for butter and cream, you can lighten it up by using margarine and either milk or sour cream. Enjoy!