This Mexican Butternut Squash Soup is a delicious and healthy meal or side dish. It contains squash, onion, sweet red pepper, celery, green chiles, oregano, chili powder, chicken broth, corn, lime juice, and cilantro. This vegan-friendly soup is full of flavors and nutrients and is sure to be a hit with everyone.
For 4 people
- 2 teaspoons - Olive oil
- 2 cups - Butternut squash - peeled & cubed (about 3/4 pound)
- 2 cups - Chopped onion
- 1 cup - Sweet red pepper
- 1 cup - Celery
- 4.5 ounces - Chopped green chiles (1 can)
- 1 teaspoon - Dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon - Chili powder
- 14.5 ounces - Fat-free chicken broth - reduced sodium
- 15.5 ounces - Canned whole kernel corn OR canned white hominy
- 0.25 cup - Fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons - Minced fresh cilantro
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the squash, onion, sweet red pepper, celery, green chiles, oregano, and chili powder. Sauté for three minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and hominy and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 35 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the lime juice and cilantro.
- Serve hot.
This Mexican Butternut Squash Soup is packed with nutritious ingredients and full of flavor. It is the perfect dish for a light meal or as a side dish. Enjoy with family and friends and savor every bite!