Mulling spices are a blend of warming spices such as cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger that are used to flavor hot beverages like cider, wine, and spiced tea. Traditional mulling spices vary according to availability, so feel free to adjust the proportions of each spice to suite your taste. Making mulling mix at home is easy and you can present it in a decorative tin or bag with a few cinnamon sticks tied to it. Perfect for a gift or to use yourself!
For 1 people
- 4 - Cinnamon sticks
- 2 tablespoons - Dried orange peel
- 2 tablespoons - Star anise
- 1 tablespoon - Allspice
- 2 teaspoons - Cloves
- 1 teaspoon - Ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon - Ground nutmeg
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix with a spoon until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a jar or airtight container and store in a cool, dark place.
- When ready to use, mix 1/4 cup of the mulling mix with 4 cups of apple cider, apple juice, or red wine in a pot.
- Heat over low heat for 10-15 minutes or until hot, but not boiling.
- Strain the mixture to remove any solids and serve warm.
Mulling mix is an easy and delicious way to warm up and enjoy the cozy flavors of fall and winter. Use it to flavor cider, wine, tea, and other warm beverages. You can also use it to make syrups, sauces, and preserves. Plus, it makes a great homemade gift for your family and friends. Enjoy!