This Caraway Venison Meatball Casserole is a wonderful combination of flavors. The venison meatballs, apples and sauerkraut come together to make a hearty, healthy and delicious meal. Serve it over gingerbread cake for a truly special dinner.
For 8 people
- 2 pounds - Venison, ground
- 0.5 cup - Minced onions
- 2 teaspoons - Salt
- 2 teaspoons - Caraway seed
- 0.25 teaspoon - Pepper
- 2 tablespoons - Salad oil or nonstick spray
- 2 cups - Sauerkraut, well drained
- 3 large - Apples, cut in wedges
- 2 tablespoons - Brown sugar
- 1 cup - Apple juice
- In large bowl, combine ground venison, onions, salt, 1 tsp. caraway seeds, and pepper; shape into about 20 meatballs.
- In large skillet over medium high heat, in hot oil, brown meatballs well.
- In a 3 quart casserole, spread a layer of sauerkraut with 1 tsp. caraway seeds. Next put a layer of apples, sprinkle with brown sugar; top with meatballs. Pour apple juice over meatballs; cover; bake 1 hour or until meat is cooked.
This Caraway Venison Meatball Casserole is a delicious and healthy meal that is sure to please your family. With the nonstick spray, it is about 23% fat. Serve it over gingerbread cake for a truly special dinner!