This Enchanted Broccoli Forest recipe is a vegetable-packed salad that is sure to be a hit with everyone! It combines beets, garlic, honey, cucumbers, scallions, eggs, dill and yogurt or sour cream. Topped with fresh black pepper, it’s a perfect side dish to bring along to your next gathering or BBQ. And it’s a great way to introduce kids to a variety of vegetables. Get ready for a delicious and nutritious meal!
For 4 to 5 people
- 8 - Beets of 2.5 inch diameter
- 0.25 cup - Cider vinegar
- 1 medium clove - Garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons - Honey
- 0.5 teaspoon - Salt
- 0.5 cup - Minced red onion
- 2 - Scallions with greens, minced
- 1 medium - Cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 - Hard-boiled eggs, chopped (yolks are optional)
- 2 tablespoons - Fresh dill, minced
- 1 cup - Yogurt (or sour cream, or a combination)
- 0 - Fresh black pepper, to taste
- Trim the beets of their stems and greens, and place them in a medium-large (non reactive) saucepan. Cover them with water, bring to a boil, and cook until they are tender enough for a fork to slide in easily (about 25 minutes).
- Meanwhile, combine the vinegar, garlic, honey, and salt in a medium-large bowl. Stir until well-combined.
- Rinse the cooked beets under cold running water as you rub off their skins. Chop them into l/2-inch bits, and while they are still warm, add them to the vinegar mixture. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients. Mix well, and chill until very cold.
- Serve cold as a side dish or as part of a larger meal.
This Enchanted Broccoli Forest recipe is a great way to get more vegetables into your diet. It’s a delicious and nutritious side dish that is sure to be a hit with everyone. Feel free to mix up the veggies to make it your own. It’s easy to make and perfect for a summertime meal or party. Enjoy!