With so many salads available on the salad bar, it can be hard to decide which ingredients go together to make a healthy, nutritious meal. This delicious combination of nuts, seeds, and fresh vegetables is the perfect choice for a light, healthy salad. It’s a great way to add variety to your lunch or dinner without adding too much fat and calories. Plus, you can customize the ingredients to fit your own preferences.
For 4 people
- 2 cups - Salad greens
- 2 tablespoons - Nuts and seeds
- 1/4 cup - Low fat cheese
- 1/4 cup - Drained beans
- 4 slices - White meat
- 3 tablespoons - Light dressing
- Start your salad by making a base of salad greens. Make sure to choose a variety of greens such as romaine and spinach for the most nutrition.
- Next, sprinkle on some nuts and seeds for added crunch and flavor. Remember to use moderation as nuts and seeds are high in fat.
- Add some cheese for flavor and texture. Choose low-fat options such as feta or cottage cheese to keep calories and fat in check.
- Add some beans for more texture and flavor. Make sure to drain them first to avoid added oils and fats.
- Add some white meat for a complete protein. Roasted or smoked chicken or turkey breast are best.
- Finish off your salad with a light dressing. Look for low fat or non-fat dressings such as ranch, honey mustard, Italian, or even caesar dressings. Plain oil and vinegar is also a great choice.
Make sure to watch out for those high-calorie, high-fat items at the salad bar. Avoid potato, pasta, and chicken salads since they usually contain mayonnaise or other high-fat ingredients. If you make smart choices, you can serve up a delicious and nutritious meal with plenty of flavor and variety for less than half the calories and fat. Bon Appétit!