Checkerboard Cake is a unique and eye-catching dessert that looks as amazing as it tastes. Made with layers of alternating cocoa and white cake batter, this cake is sure to be a hit at any party or special occasion. The cake is finished with a rich chocolate frosting to tie everything together. Whether you’re looking for a show-stopping dessert to bring to your next gathering or just want something special to treat yourself, this Checkerboard Cake recipe is just what you need.
For 16 people
- 1/2 cup cup - Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups cups - Granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cup - Water
- 3 cups cups - Cake flour
- 1 1/3 teaspoons teaspoons - Baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon teaspoon - Baking soda
- 1/2 cup cup - Margarine
- 2 - Egg whites
- 1 large - Egg
- 1 1/2 cups cups - Nonfat plain yogurt
- 16 ounces ounces - Chocolate frosting
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray three 9 inch round baking pans with vegetable cooking spray.
- Whisk together cocoa, 1/2 cup sugar, and water. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix well.
- Using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat together remaining sugar and margarine. Beat in egg whites and egg. At low speed, beat in yogurt and flour mixture.
- Divide batter in half. Fold cocoa mixture into one half. Spoon some chocolate batter around edges of two prepared pans. Spoon some white batter next to chocolate batter. Spoon some chocolate batter into each center. In remaining pan, spoon some white batter around edges. Spoon remaining chocolate batter next to white batter. Spoon remaining white batter into center.
- Bake cakes until set, about 25 minutes. Place on wire racks; cool slightly. Turn out onto racks; cool. Spread some frosting over layers. Stack; spread remaining frosting over top and sides.
This Checkerboard Cake is beautiful, unique, and delicious. Everyone will be impressed when you bring this show-stopping dessert to your next gathering. It’s sure to be a hit with friends and family. Enjoy!