Broccolini is a unique vegetable with a sweet, delicate flavor and a subtle, peppery edge. It’s completely edible, from flower to stem, and its texture is less fibrous than either broccoli or asparagus. This recipe provides tips on how to prepare, store, and cook this nutritious vegetable, so that it can be enjoyed in a variety of ways.
For 1 people
- 82 grams - Broccolini
- Beginning with clean, cold broccolini, decide on a cooking method. Blanching is a popular option, requiring boiling 2 cups of water, adding the broccolini, boiling for 1-2 minutes until bright green, and then draining and rinsing with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Boiling in salted water for 4 minutes is another option. Drain the broccolini and serve immediately.
- For a heartier flavor, sauté the broccolini with olive oil, yellow onions, and capers, a perfect accompaniment to meat or seafood.
- Microwaving can also be used; place the broccolini in a microwaveable bowl, cover, and microwave on high for 3-6 minutes.
- Grilling is a great way to bring out the flavors of the broccolini. Blanch, drain, and brush with a seasoning of your choice. Wrap the flower in foil to prevent charring and place on the grill.
- Steaming is another easy option. Bring water to a boil in a steamer, add the broccolini, and steam until tender yet still crisp.
- For a unique twist, stir-fry the broccolini with other fresh vegetables and a ginger soy sauce for a light meal. Or, dip the broccolini in a beer batter and deep-fry for a crunchy appetizer.
- Finally, broccolini can be added to a wide variety of dishes, including couscous dishes, pastas, soups, tapas, chilled crudites, vegetable chilis, stews, quiches, macaroni and cheese, casseroles, crepes, salads, and quick breads.
Broccolini is a nutritious and delicious vegetable that can be prepared in a variety of ways. From blanching and boiling to grilling and frying, this versatile vegetable is sure to please any palate. With its sweet, delicate flavor and subtle, peppery edge, broccolini is a great addition to any meal.