This homemade oatmeal bread is a delicious snack or addition to any meal. It’s made with rolled oats, sugar, salt, all-purpose flour, yeast, milk and warm water. It’s easy to make and results in a soft, tender and flavorful bread. Enjoy it for breakfast, as a snack, or with your favorite spread.
- 1 cup - Coarse rolled oats
- 1 cup - Boiling water
- 2 packages - Active dry yeast
- 1 tsp - Granulated sugar
- 0.5 cup - Warm water
- 1 cup - Warm milk
- 1 tbsp - Salt
- 0.25 cup - Dark brown sugar
- 4 cups - Unbleached all-purpose flour
- Cook the oats in the boiling water until thickened, about 3 minutes. Pour into a large mixing bowl and allow to cool to lukewarm [about 20 minutes, jtr].
- Meanwhile, stir the yeast and teaspoon of sugar into the warm water until dissolved, allow to proof. Add the warm milk, salt, brown sugar, and yeast mixture to the oats and stir well.
- Stir in 4 cups of flour, 1 cup at a time. Turn out on a floured board. Knead into a smooth, pliable, elastic dough, if necessary using as much as 1/2 to 1 cup, or more, of additional flour to get it to the right feel.
- Shape the dough into a ball, put into a well-buttered bowl, and turn to coat on all sides. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in bulk, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch the dough down. Knead for 2 or 3 minutes and shape into two loaves. Thoroughly butter two 8 x 4 x 2-inch tins. Place the dough in the tins, cover, and let rise in a warm place until about even with the top of the tins, or almost doubled in bulk.
- Preheat the oven to 375F, place the bread in the center of the lowest rack, and bake for about 45 to 50 minutes, [or until internal temperature reaches 190F on an instant read thermometer. Jtr]. Remove the loaves to a rack and cool. If desired, brush the loaves with melted butter when you bring them out of the oven.
Now you know how to make delicious oatmeal bread at home! It’s an easy and satisfying recipe that will be sure to bring smiles to the family. Serve with butter, jam, or your favorite spread and enjoy the unique flavor of oatmeal bread. For an even more nutritious option, try adding additional whole grains and seeds to the dough. Have fun baking!