Shortcake Gems are a classic treat. They are so easy to make and yet so delicious. They also make a great snack for kids or adults alike. The combination of fluffy and crunchy, sweet and just a bit savory is irresistible. This recipe is perfect for a dinner party, or just an afternoon snack. And the best part is that it is low fat, so you can enjoy it without feeling guilty.
- 1 1/2 cups - Flour
- 1/2 cup - Sugar
- 2 teaspoons - Baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon - Morton's Lite Salt
- 1/4 cup - Fleischmann's Unsalted Margarine
- 3 tablespoons - Skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon - Almond extract
- 1 large - Egg
- 1/2 cup - Preserves
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in the margarine until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, almond extract, and egg.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the flour mixture and stir just until moistened.
- Press 1/2 of the mixture into the bottom of an 8 inch square pan that has been coated with Pam.
- Bake in a preheated 400F oven for 5 minutes.
- Spread the base with preserves.
- Drop the remaining half of the mixture by small spoonfuls evenly over the preserves.
- Bake for an additional 13-18 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
Shortcake Gems make a great snack, or even a light dessert. They are easy to make and can easily be tailored to your own tastes by varying the preserves or adding different flavors to the dough. Enjoy the delicious combination of light and fluffy, crunchy and sweet in these delightful Shortcake Gems.