This soda bread recipe is a great option for anyone looking for a quick and easy breakfast or lunch. It’s perfect for those who are vegan and vegetarian and it’s packed with flavor. It’s made from whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, water, honey, vegetable oil, and fennel seed. The currants add a juicy flavor to the bread and the fennel seed a wonderfully unique flavor. The bread is also easy to make and only takes an hour in the oven.
- 3/4 cup cup - Currants
- 3 cup cup - Whole-Wheat Flour
- 1 cup cup - All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon Tsp - Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Tsp - Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Tsp - Salt
- 1 1/2 cup cup - Water
- 1/4 cup cup - Honey
- 2 teaspoon Tsp - Vegetable Oil
- 2 teaspoon Tsp - Fennel Seed
- 1 cup cup - Granulated Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg F (180 deg C).
- In a small bowl, soak the currants in warm water.
- Grease a baking sheet.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Drain the currants and add them to the bowl.
- Stir in the water, honey, oil, and fennel seed just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Knead the dough with floured hands until it is smooth, about 1 minute.
- Shape the dough into a 7-inch circle and put it on the prepared baking sheet.
- Cut a large X about 1/4-inch deep on the top and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for about one hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Soaking the currants for this Fennel and Currant Soda Bread recipe cleans and plumps them up, making them juicier and adding more flavor to this delicious quick bread. Enjoy it warm or at room temperature. Enjoy the incredible flavor of the fennel seed and the currants in this yummy and vegan-friendly treat!