This delicious Swedish recipe won the Blue Ribbon at the Minnesota State Fair. Julekage #2 contains a combination of lukewarm water, sugar, salt, ground cardamom, egg, shortening, yeast cake, sifted flour, chopped citron and raisins. This traditional bread is perfect to share with family and friends at any special occasion.
For 14 people
- 1 C - Water - Lukewarm
- 0.5 C - Sugar
- 0.5 Tsp - Salt
- 1 Tsp - Ground Cardamom
- 1 Sm - Egg
- 2 Tbsp - Shortening - Softened
- 1 - Yeast Cake
- 3.25 C - Flour - Sifted up to 3.5 C Flour
- 0.25 C - Chopped Citron
- 0.5 C - Raisins
- In a bowl, mix together the lukewarm water, sugar, salt and cardamom.
- Add the egg and shortening to the mixture and stir.
- Incorporate the flour, citron and raisins, mixing first with a spoon and then with your hands.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured board and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough into a greased bowl and turn so the greased side is facing up.
- Cover the bowl and let the dough rise in a warm place until it has doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough and let it rise a second time.
- Shape the dough into a round loaf and place it in a greased 9 inch round pan.
- Cover the pan and let it rise until it has doubled in size again.
- Bake the loaf at 350°F until it is browned, which should take about 50 minutes.
This delicious Julekage #2 is a traditional Swedish recipe that won the Blue Ribbon at the Minnesota State Fair. It’s a delicious and easy to make fruit bread that will make any occasion special. This is a great recipe to share with family and friends, and it’s a great way to honor Swedish traditions and enjoy the delicious flavors of this traditional bread.