Welcome to our special Greek New Year’s Bread! This is a unique and flavourful bread made with feta cheese, cucumber and other special ingredients. It’s perfect for special occasions like the traditional Greek New Year. This bread contains the traditional silver coin and is sure to impress your guests with its amazing taste and texture. We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
For 1 people
- 1/3 cup - Sugar
- 4 Tbs - Butter
- 1/2 tsp - Salt
- 1/2 cup - Milk
- 1 package - Active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup - Warm water
- 1 tsp - Ground cardamom
- 2 - Eggs
- 3 cups - All-purpose flour
- 1 - Silver coin wrapped in foil
- 1 egg - Beaten with
- 1 tablespoons - Water
- Sesame seeds
- Blanched almonds
- Combine the sugar, butter, salt, and milk in a small saucepan and heat over moderate heat until the butter is melted. Cool to lukewarm.
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water in a large mixing bowl and add the cooled milk mixture, cardamom, and eggs and beat until combined. Add 1+1/2 cups (375 ml) of the flour and beat for 5 minutes.
- Add enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough. Knead on a floured surface for about 10 minutes, until the dough is smooth and satiny.
- Form the dough into a ball and place in an oiled bowl, rotating the dough to grease the surface all over. Cover with a dish towel and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in volume.
- Punch the dough down and allow to rise again. Punch the dough down again and form into a 9-inch (25 cm) round, placing the coin in the dough. Place on a greased baking sheet, cover with the towel, and allow to rise again until doubled in size.
- Brush with the egg and water mixture, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and decorate with the blanched almonds. Bake at 375F (190C) for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown. Makes one 9-inch (25 cm) loaf.
This Greek New Year’s Bread is truly unique and delicious. Its combination of feta cheese and cucumber is one that you won’t want to miss. It’s a great accompaniment to any hot meal, especially char-grilled marinated lamb chops or your favorite lamb kabobs. Give it a try today and enjoy a taste of this traditional Greek New Year’s Bread for yourself!