This vegan muffuletta sandwich is a delicious, flavourful and wholesome meal that can be served as a snack or lunch. It’s made with grilled eggplant slices, chickpea puree, roasted peppers, arugula, and pesto on an Italian round loaf. Enjoy this vegan sandwich with friends and family for an easy and healthy lunch.
For 8 people
- 2 - Eggplants
- 19 ounces - Chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons - Lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoon - Sesame Oil
- 1 teaspoon - Ground Cumin
- 1 clove - Garlic
- 0.5 teaspoon - Salt
- 0.5 teaspoon - Pepper
- 0.5 teaspoon - Hot Chili Paste
- 10 inch - Italian Bread
- 1 - Roasted Red Peppers
- 1 - Roasted Yellow Bell Peppers
- 1 bunch - Fresh Arugula
- 0.33 cup - Pesto Sauce
- Preheat the barbecue or broiler and grill the eggplant until both sides are lightly browned.
- In a food processor, puree the chickpeas, lemon juice, sesame oil, cumin, garlic, salt, pepper and chili paste. Taste and adjust the seasonings, or thin with water if necessary.
- Cut the bread in half horizontally, removing some of the insides (save for breadcrumbs or croutons). Spread the bottom half of the bread with the chickpea puree and layer on the eggplant slices, roasted peppers and arugula. Spread the top half of the bread with pesto and place firmly on the sandwich. Wrap tightly.
- Cut into wedges to serve. For easier serving, wrap and refrigerate the sandwich for at least one hour before slicing.
This vegetarian muffuletta sandwich is a flavourful, wholesome and delicious option for a snack or lunch. It is packed with fresh and nutritious ingredients, and is sure to become a family favourite. Enjoy this vegan sandwich with your friends and family for an easy and healthy meal. Bon appetite!