This zesty bread is packed with flavor and is perfect for any meal. Easily create a delicious fluffy loaf with this combination of coarse and fine wholemeal flour, butter, malt extract, buttermilk and Guinness. Save leftovers to make crunchy croutons for a salad. This is a yeast-free recipe that is easy to follow and takes minimal time.
For 1 people
- 1 cup - Coarse Wholemeal Flour
- 1 cup - Fine Wholemeal Flour
- 0.5 cup - Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp - Baking Soda
- 1 tsp - Salt
- 0.25 cup - Butter
- 1 tsp - Malt Extract
- 1.25 cups - Buttermilk
- 1.25 cups - Guinness
- Combine the coarse and fine wholemeal flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Mix in the butter, lifting well to give the mixture air.
- Stir in the malt extract, buttermilk and Guinness.
- Mix until the bread has a porridge-like consistency, being careful not to over mix.
- Pour into a well-greased 8x8 square baking pan that has been sprinkled with wholemeal flour and sprinkle the additional flour on top.
- Place in pre-heated 375F degree oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Once the top springs back after a gentle press, turn off the oven and allow the bread to cool slowly with the door open for 30 minutes.
- Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely and serve.
For a fluffier loaf, try using Guinness from a tin instead of a bottle as the nitrogen capsule will create more air in the batter. If you cannot find malt extract, substitute with 1 tsp. of vanilla extract. This delicious and zesty bread will dress up any meal. Enjoy!